The first moments after birth are some of the best times to bond with your baby and begin breastfeeding. It’s also a great opportunity to get help from lactation professionals and hospital-grade breastfeeding products. In fact, many hospitals have recognized how important their role is in breastfeeding success and have chosen to pursue “Baby-Friendly Hospital” status. Medela proudly supports the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative and its role in long-term breastfeeding success.
In order for a hospital to become “baby-friendly,” they must complete the following 10 steps:
- Develop a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely shared with the healthcare staff.
- Specifically train the hospital staff to practice and implement the breastfeeding policy.
- Share the benefits of breastfeeding with all pregnant women in the hospital.
- Support moms in breastfeeding within the first 30 minutes after birth.
- Teach moms how to breastfeed and maintain supply, even if they are separated from their babies.
- Feed nothing but breast milk to babies, unless medically indicated.
- Allow mothers to stay with their babies 24 hours a day.
- Encourage moms to breastfeed on demand.
- Do not provide pacifiers or bottle nipples to breastfeeding infants.
- Work to develop support groups and refer mothers to them upon discharge.
Curious about baby friendly hospitals near you? You can find a full list of Medela baby-friendly hospitals by state on our website.
How did your hospital support your breastfeeding goals? Share in the comments below.