Preparing to breastfeed can be a stressful time, but don’t worry; we’ve got a great checklist to make breastfeeding easier.
- Bra Pads: You can prevent embarrassing situations by wearing to absorb leaking breast milk. You can either purchase washable or disposable bra pads, based on your personal preference.
- Daytime and Nighttime Nursing Bras: Daytime nursing bras should be sized for your pregnancy breast size or larger. These bras will provide comfort and support, as well as keep bra pads in place. Nighttime nursing bras are made with soft cotton and provide minimal support for comfortable sleeping.
- Burp Clothes: These are great to have on hand for spit ups and drool. They help to keep mom and baby nice and clean.
- Lanolin: This nipple cream provides soothing relief for dry, cracked nipples. It’s great to have handy to ensure pumping or breastfeeding remains comfortable.
- Nipple Shells: Sore nipples can become even more irritated when clothing rubs across them. Nipple shells separate nipples from clothing and allow air to circulate.
- Breast Ice Packs: Some moms suffer from engorgement, soreness or mastitis while breastfeeding. Breast ice packs can help relieve the pain associated with those conditions.
- Nursing Pillow: Comfort is key while breastfeeding, so consider buying a nursing pillow to help with breastfeeding positions. A comfortable mom and baby make for greater breastfeeding success.
- Button Down Shirts: Now you’re a breastfeeding mom, so you might as well dress the part. Button down shirts allow for easy and discrete breastfeeding, no matter where you are.
- Comfy Chair: You’ll find that you experience the most breastfeeding success when you’re comfortable and relaxed, so consider using a comfortable chair for breastfeeding. Specifically, try a gliding or rocking chair. It can be very relaxing for mom and baby.
- Nursing Stool: You may not realize it now, but having your feet in a comfortable position can make a huge difference in how you feel. Nursing stools help to make any seated position even more comfortable. Working moms, keep one of these under your desk at work to keep you feeling good at the office too.
If you choose to pump, you may also want to consider these items:
- Breast Pump: Pumping breast milk will help ensure your baby is getting the best nutrition possible, even when you’re not around. Medela offers an interactive product selector that will help determine which pump best fits your needs.
- Breast Milk Freezer Bags: It can be extremely convenient to pump directly into your breast milk storage containers. It also prevents spills while transferring breast milk between containers.
- Easy Expression Bustier: You may feel like you never stop pumping, but Medela’s Easy Expression Bustier allows you to pump hands-free. That means you can multitask while pumping. Hello productivity!
- Breast Milk Bottle Brush: These brushes can provide you with piece of mind, knowing you are able to clean all the tight spaces of your bottles.
- Dishwasher Basket: We all know small pieces tend to take flight in the dishwasher, so consider buying a dishwasher basket to prevent breast milk bottle parts from falling in the dishwasher.
Moms, did we miss any must-have items? Please share them in the comments below.