Bringing home baby can be overwhelming, but knowing what you can do to prepare for birth can help make that special moment even better. So, take some time to review our guide of what to do, buy and research before you bring your little one home.
What to Buy:
- Car Seat
- Baby Clothes
- Breastfeeding Log
- Nursing Bras
- Nursing Bra Pads
- Diapers + Wipes
- First Aid Kit
- High Chair
- Baby Carrier
What to Research:
- Is your partner eligible for maternity leave?
- Where are breastfeeding resources and Lactation Consultants in your area?
- What are my options for childcare?
- What pediatrician are you going to take your little one to?
- Do you plan to use a breast pump?
- What breastfeeding classes are offered at your hospital?
What to Do:
- Set aside some time for you and your partner before delivery. Be sure to go on a special date before two becomes three.
- Develop a birth plan.
- Pack your hospital bag.
- Develop a phone tree or email list to notify close family and friends of the birth
- Write and address birth announcements. You’re not going to want to take the time to do this after the baby comes.
- Install your car seat in advance. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers detailed guidelines and videos for installation.
- Plan to take a breastfeeding class. Attend with a family member.
Do you have anything to add to this preparing for baby list? Please let us know in the comments below.